Monday 17 October 2011

Leave a lasting impression on others today.

I think in business, it's easy to forget the important things we were taught when growing up.  Treat others as you want to be treated.  Say please and thank you.  Be respectful.

For example, I know a lot of people in sales and they say the toughest part of the job is getting people to call you back.  I'm not talking about perfect strangers.  I'm talking about family friends, former colleagues, neighbours, people you went to school with. 

Granted, the sales person is likely calling these people for business purposes, but what is up with that?  How long does it take to pick up the phone and say, "Hey Buddy, I would love to help you out, but our organization just doesn't have a need right now."?  It's common courtesy.  It's the way you treat people who you have any modicum of respect for. 

On the flip side of that, I deal with a lot of people whose very nature is the opposite (which I guess makes things easier).  Within a half hour of making a sales call to a senior exec this morning, I got a call back.  The answer wasn't what I wanted, but it doesn't matter.

I had someone send me an actual thank you card and gift the other day for doing business together, and in the grand scheme of things, she has done way more for me than she was compensated for.  Guaranteed, I will refer her to others.

I'm willing to bet that these two people leave a lasting impression on everyone who they work for and with. 

What kind of impression are you leaving today?

No comments:

Post a Comment